OPPD wants qualifying renters to know that emergency assistance is available to help with their rent and utility bills.
The Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program provides funds to assist qualified households who are struggling to pay rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The assistance funds apply to rent and/or utilities due from April 1, 2020 through Nov. 30, 2021.
The funds are available through OPPD’s community partners. They are not coming directly from OPPD. However, the utility would like customers to be aware that the assistance is available.
OPPD customers who meet the following criteria, and have the proper documentation, are eligible for the funds.
- Proof of income for all members of the household who file taxes. The total must be below 80% of the area’s median income.
- Proof of financial loss or hardship due to COVID-19. For example: paystubs showing a reduction in income, unemployment payments, W-2, medical bills, significant costs, or other financial hardship.
- Current lease or rental agreement for the residence on their OPPD account
- Proof they are behind on either rent or utility payments
- Must be a United States citizen or legal resident
Those customers who qualify can apply for funding in the following ways, depending on their place of residence.
- Households in Douglas County can apply by visiting org
- Those in Omaha can apply at org
- Those who reside outside Douglas County can apply at nebraska.gov
- Those who reside in Iowa can apply here.
For more information about assistance related to COVID-19, visit oppd.com.